Saturday, June 18, 2005

Gravity

Flee from me, away from trouble;
take the path of safety, far from this danger.

Rumi


Rather I spit at the eye of whose fell clutch I'm in... than this enduring blankness. Living has taken its toll (what a price to pay!) and the weight of existence grows heaver by the minute. It crushes me to my bed, in spite of the clock's shrill persistent shrieks-- the clarion call of dawn. I cannot, I tell myself, continue like this. Sisyphus with his Eternal boulder, Tantalus and his lake of Desire. I push, I lunge, grab at straws, and find myself still tied to this coil. The gears continue to move, while the wheel continues to threaten to crush. The sheets cling to me, they wrap themselves about my legs, telling me to stay. You know you're in a darker place when blankets begin to take the wisdom of Wise men. And I cannot fight them. They are stronger-- or perhaps, I just cannot bring myself to. For it is only a fool who contests the weight of Wisdom. So then I let myself go, sink into these sheets, full with the scent of sleep, that embrace of oblivion, the still mark of the womb.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home